High School Admissions
Families can now log into MySchools (myschools.nyc), add programs to their “favorites” list, list up to 12 programs on their application in preference order, and submit their application. Our video series includes tutorial videos on how to create an account in MySchools, add your child, and start your high school application. Videos are in English, and translated captions are available at the link above in the nine DOE languages.
The deadline for families to submit their high school application is February 23, 2021. Families can make changes to their application at any time until February 23.
Turnkey Presentation for Families (winter 2020-2021)-<-- Visual Presentation on HS Admissions (20-21)
High School Admissions web page: schools.nyc.gov/High - <---VIDEO ON HS Admissions Information (20-21)
Specialized High Schools Admissions web page: schools.nyc.gov/SHS
Updated 2021 NYC High School and Specialized High Schools Admissions Guide: schools.nyc.gov/HSGuide.
Diversity in Admissions: schools.nyc.gov/DiversityAdmissions
What You Can Do For Now:
Learn about high school and Specialized High Schools admissions!
Visit the High School Enrollment website.
Watch our new video series and stay tuned for future videos.
Make an appointment with our current school counselor, Mr. Benetos, to discuss your plans for high school. School counselors are families’ best resource and guide throughout the admissions process.
Explore schools and programs
Browse options by borough in the admissions guide.
Learn about programs in detail and search for schools by course offerings, location, sports, and more in the MySchools high school directory.
Make a list of YOUR programs of interest!
Contact the High School Enrollment:
718-935-2009 for questions about admissions and enrollment.
Click on your schedule to view fully.
High School Admissions Timeline
Welcome letters are in the mail! Letters have been sent to families of all current eighth-grade public DOE and charter school students. Starting Monday, December 14, students can also get their welcome letter from their current school. Your welcome letter includes:
- Instructions on how to set up a MySchools account and add your child to it using their unique account creation code.
- Information on how to use MySchools to explore your high school choices, apply to high school, and participate in Specialized High Schools admissions when these application periods open.
Need help getting your letter or setting up your account?
- Talk to your child’s current school counselor. They will be your main point of contact through the high school admissions process and can help you get your welcome letter.
- If your child attends a private or parochial school or is homeschooled, contact a Family Welcome Center to set up an account and get your letter.
- Learn more at schools.nyc.gov/High. Our MySchools tutorial videos—part of our High School Admissions Video Series—will walk you through how to set up your account.
We wish you and your child a rewarding admissions season.
The High School Admissions Team
Office of Student Enrollment
¡Las cartas de bienvenida ya están en el correo! Se han enviado cartas a las familias de todos los estudiantes de 8.ᵒ grado de las escuelas públicas del Departamento de Educación (DOE) y de las escuelas charter. A partir del lunes, 14 de diciembre, los estudiantes también pueden obtener su carta de bienvenida de su escuela actual. La carta de bienvenida incluye lo siguiente:
- Instrucciones sobre cómo configurar una cuenta de MySchools y agregar el nombre de su hijo a través de un código único de creación de cuenta.
- Información sobre cómo utilizar MySchools para explorar sus opciones de escuela secundaria, solicitar el ingreso a la escuela secundaria y participar en el proceso de admisión a las escuelas secundarias especializadas cuando comience el período de solicitud de ingreso.
¿Necesita ayuda para obtener la carta o configurar su cuenta?
- Hable con el consejero escolar de su hijo. Será su principal punto de contacto en el proceso de admisión a la escuela secundaria y puede ayudarlo a obtener la carta de bienvenida.
- Si su hijo asiste a una escuela privada o parroquial, o recibe educación en el hogar (homeschooling), comuníquese con un Centro de Bienvenida a las Familias para configurar una cuenta y obtener la carta.
- Obtenga más información en schools.nyc.gov/High. Nuestros videos instructivos de MySchools —parte de la serie de videos del proceso de admisión a la escuela secundaria— lo guiarán sobre cómo configurar su cuenta.
High School Admissions Information
High School Admissions Update PDF
General Application Information
High School Application:
The high school application for students entering high school in fall 2021 will open during the week of January 18, 2021.
Families can use MySchools (myschools.nyc) to explore schools and submit their high school application with up to 12 program choices in preference order.
Families who submit their application through their current school counselor, who can enter student applications in the school-facing MySchools site (school.myschools.nyc).
Detailed instructions are in the MySchools Guide for School Counselors.
The deadline for families to submit their high school application is the week of February 22, 2021.
Specialized High Schools
Registration for the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) and LaGuardia High School auditions will open on December 21, 2020.
As in previous years, families can register their child for the SHSAT and/or LaGuardia High School auditions in MySchools (myschools.nyc) and school staff can register their students in the school-facing MySchools site (school.myschools.nyc). Detailed instructions are in the MySchools Guide for School Counselors.
The deadline for families to register for the SHSAT is January 15, 2021.
New! Preference Order
Starting this year, families will indicate their Specialized High School preference order at the time of registration in MySchools, or when they register through their current school counselors.
New! SHSAT here!
This year, public schools that serve 8th grade will administer the SHSAT for their current 8th grade students.
SHSAT Test dates will begin on January 27 with 8th grade public school students testing at their middle school.
More details and specific test dates will be shared soon.
Geographic Priorities and Elligibility:
Over the next two years, geographic priorities and eligibility in high school admissions will be phased out. Different types of geographic priorities will be phased out at different times:
· Starting now, for fall 2021 admissions, admissions based on geographic districts and catchment areas will be eliminated.
This means all high school programs that previously gave admissions priority or eligibility to applicants who live or attend school in the high school’s geographic district or catchment area will no longer do so.
In January 2021, updated information will be available in the online directory in MySchools.
· Beginning with 2022 admissions (for students entering high school in fall 2022), all other geographic priorities and eligibilities will be removed.
This means that every high school will be available to any student across our City.